Mantra Fitness is more than just family and Lagree. We are a community of people who are thriving, giving, and becoming a better self in all aspects of life. With Earth Day approaching, Mantra Fitness has partnered with the Surfrider Foundation for the entire month of April to make an impact on a cleaner environment. Each donation given, we will MATCH!
But what does it look like giving more than just money to help our environment? It can be as simple as eating out at the right restaurants. Restaurants go through thousands of pieces of plastic each week while preparing, serving, and boxing your food. According to the Surfrider Foundation website: “Researchers estimate there are now over 5.25 trillion pieces of plastic in the ocean with the number continuing to grow every day. This pollution is impacting our marine ecosystems; wildlife such as seabirds, dolphins, fish, and turtles; and plastic fragments are even displacing plankton at the base of the food chain.”
The more we can learn about these issues, the easier it is to make choices that will make a difference. Here are a few more facts about two products you may use in your day-to-day life.
Plastic bags. Plastic bags are very buoyant, which causes them to float on top of the water, never fully breaking down. Tiny bits of plastic bags can travel a long way through water and air, reaching places that can’t correctly dispose of them, within reach of animals and plants, causing injury or death.
Water bottles. Water bottles are another scourge of the oceans: Americans buy over 29 billion water bottles a year and less than 17% of these plastic bottles are recycled. Plastics cannot break down in the span of our lifetime. Over the past 10 years, there has been more plastic made than the last century alone.
With the statistics only rising, the Surfrider Foundation created an Ocean Friendly Restaurant certification program.
What qualifies a restaurant to be considered “Ocean Friendly”?
Restaurants participating must follow the first five criteria:
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
- Proper recycling practices are followed.
- Only reusable tableware is used for onsite dining, and disposable utensils for takeout food are provided only upon request.
- No plastic bags offered for takeout or to-go orders.
- Straws are provided only upon request.
And choose a minimum of two of these criteria:
- No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
- Discount is offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis.
- All seafood must be a “Best Choice” or “Good Alternative” as defined by Seafood Watchor certified as sustainable.
- Water conservation efforts, such as low-flow faucets and toilets, are implemented.
- Energy efficiency efforts, such as LED lighting and Energy Star appliances, are in place.
A restaurant that meets all of the criteria is recognized as a Platinum-Level Ocean-Friendly Restaurant.
Getting outside our homes, our offices, and our studios can be a tiny but MIGHTY step to preserving the beautiful Earth we live in. Whether you are a casual diner or eat out every day, here is a list of “ocean friendly” restaurants in Mantra Fitness areas that you can enjoy.
San Juan Capistrano:
- TREVOR’S AT THE TRACKS
- JIMMY’S FAMOUS AMERICAN TAVERN
- LELU COFFEE LOUNGE
- BERN’S STEAK HOUSE
- HAVEN TAMPA
- MEZE 119
By becoming “ocean friendly,” these restaurants stand to make an impact. To compare that to a Lagree workout, you are cutting out the having to be at the gym for hours and instead are choosing a workout that will actually make an impact with your balance, muscles, and mind. You are a powerful person and can make an impact. We invite you to work out, eat well, and help the environment with us to make an impact!
Happy Earth Day month! See you at Mantra!