Is Sebastien Lagree, founder of Lagree Fitness, a mad scientist or simply a genius fitness innovator? We like to think he's a little bit of both. We already know the Megaformer gives us an amazing full body workout...but have you ever wondered why? Today we are going to get into all the fun science-y good stuff behind Lagree Fitness and the Megaformer!
If all of this science overwhelms you and you're brain starts hurting at the very thought of it...just read the next paragraph. If you're kind of a nerd (like we are), then keep reading. Everything that goes into this workout is pretty fascinating!
Moving effectively out of the borders of conditioned stimulus, this workout integrates the key elements of resistance and counter-resistance in a sequence that allows for periods of zero gravity at peak muscle contraction. The composition of this method is significant in that it encourages maximum exertion while allowing for low risk of injury. The Megaformer workout strengthens the body, tones and elongates the muscles, improves endurance, jump-starts the metabolism, burns fat, increases flexibility and postural alignment, and restores the body’s natural balance.
Physical fitness is made up of five basic elements: Cardio, Strength, Endurance, Body Composition, and Flexibility. Where many workouts and exercise regimens work to integrate as many of these elements as possible, Lagree Fitness meets all the elements to physical fitness; not just in 1 session but in each and every move.
Five Basic Elements of Physical Fitness:
- Cardiorespiratory Endurance - the ability of the body’s circulatory and respiratory systems (heart and lungs) to supply fuel to the tissues and cells during sustained physical activity. To improve your cardiorespiratory endurance, train doing activities that keep your heart rate elevated at a safe level for a sustained length of time. Typically the aerobic system kicks in after 60 seconds of constant uninterrupted physical effort. That's why we perform each exercise for at least 60 seconds and encourage fast transitions!
- Muscular Strength - the ability of the muscle to exert force during an activity. The key to making your muscles stronger is working them against resistance: weights, gravity, and/or springs. The Megaformer allows your body to train in counter-resistance to improve muscular strength. You'll hear your instructors reminding you to RESIST those springs because your muscles get that work on the exertion AND the resistance. You can't get that with regular weight training.
- Muscular Endurance - the ability of the muscle to continue to perform without fatigue. This is the ability for your body to keep working during continuous movement. Ironically, in order to perform without fatigue, you need to train the muscles to fatigue. We train each muscle group at a time to fatigue for this very reason.
- Body Composition - refers to the relative amount of muscle, fat, bone, and other vital parts of the body that make up the entire body. A person’s total body weight (what you see on the bathroom scale) may not change over time, but the bathroom scale does not assess how much of that body weight is fat and how much is lean mass (muscle, bone, and ligaments). Lagree promotes fat loss and lean muscle growth to improve the total body composition - helps us get long and lean!
- Flexibility - the range of motion around a joint. Good flexibility in the joints can improve postures and alignment as well as help prevent injuries through all stages of life. If you want to improve your flexibility, your must perform activities that lengthen the muscles. The Megaformer works the muscle in its length which improves flexibility. Stretching is built into the workout!
Want even more details on the science behind Lagree Fitness? Click HERE